We do not adopt outside the state of California.
An application, home check, contract, and fee are required for all adoptions. All dogs are spayed or neutered (no exceptions), current on vaccinations, and microchipped before adoption.
To give adopters a head start with potty training and reduce separation anxiety, all our dogs are crate trained. We believe a well behaved dog is a happy dog and companion. Therefore, we require at least one session with one of our recommended trainers.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact us.
In order to be considered an adopter you must:
- Be 25 years of age or older
- Have identification and a utility bill showing your present address
- If renting, have the knowledge and written consent of your landlord
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment and proper care of a dog/cat for the rest of his/her life.
- Adoption Application: Fill out and submit the adoption application questionnaire below. We consider all applications in the order they are received.
- Home Check: While a home visit is required prior to placement, it does not guarantee adoption. We like to see where our dogs will be living, make sure they will be in a safe and secure environment, and will be living as beloved family members. Often we can help with unforeseen health risks and help secure yards and fences that owners might miss. We ask that everyone who will be living with the dog be present at the home check.
- Meet and Greet: After your application is approved, you will be contacted to arrange a time to meet your dog of interest. Everyone living in the house must be in agreement to adopt a dog. If you currently have other pets, we will want to make an introduction to see if they approve of a new family member as well.
- Adoption Contract: The adoption contract is a binding agreement between the adopter and Mutt Match LA. If for any reason, the adoption of one of our dogs does not work out, you must contact Mutt Match LA.
- Adoption Fee: There is a $350 adoption fee for puppies (eight weeks to two years old), $300 adoption fee for dogs two to five years of age, and $250 for dogs five years of age and older. Adoption fees include spaying or neutering (by our vet), vaccinations (up to the point of adoption), and microchip. In many cases, we have already spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills and boarding for each dog. The donation helps us recoup a small fraction of that cost. In the case of puppies, additional booster vaccinations and rabies shots may be required and incurred by adopter.
- Training. Training is an important part of a dog’s well being. Many of the dogs we rescue are from neglectful homes or they have been living and surviving on the streets. We see the same heart breaking scenarios over and over which sadly ends with wonderful dogs being euthanized because of something as simple as a lack of training. We are passionate and committed to dog training and education and want to be certain our adopters are as well. We try hard to set each dog off to a successful start, so training is part of our adoption requirements. In addition to the adoption fee, a $200 training fee will be required (paid directly to the trainer) for dogs over 35 pounds. We work with some of LA’s best trainers but if you have a trainer you prefer or have worked with in the past, we will take that into consideration to meet our requirement.
It is our goal to make certain that each person who adopts an animal is aware of the responsibilities of pet guardianship, and is capable and willing to accept those responsibilities morally, physically and financially.
By completing this questionnaire, you will help us in determining if you and your family are ready for pet guardianship, and if the dog you are interested in adopting would suit you, your family and your lifestyle. If you agree that adopting a pet is a commitment throughout the lifetime of your companion animal, please fill out this questionnaire.
We reserve the right to refuse any adoption that we feel will not suit the animal’s needs or special requirements.Please fill out the form below, agree to the terms at the end, and click Submit. Required fields are indicated by (*).